The production and provision of electronic books (e-books) is growing. The advantages are that you can access a book when the paper copies are all on loan from the library. Below is a list of Life Sciences e-books that the Library currently subscribes to and that are available via the Library Catalogue. The catalogue record also highlights if there are any usage restrictions, e.g. a restricted number of users at any one time, etc. Just click on the title of the e-book below to be taken to the catalogue record for that item, and then click on the URL within the record to go to the e-book.
Please note: all publishers work a little differently, and navigating around each website may be different too – the best thing is to read the webpage and look for helpful links like ‘view content’ or ‘view this book’.
- A History of Nature Conservation in Britain by David Evans
- Animal Behaviour: mechanism, development, function and evolution by Chris Barnard
- Biogeochemistry of Marine Dissolved Organic Matter edited by Hansell and Carlson
- Biological Oceanography: An Introduction by Carol Lalli
- Conservation and Sustainable Use: A Handbook of Techniques by E. J. Milner-Gulland
- Conservation Biology by Andrew Pullin
- Colour Atlas of Genetics by Eberhard Passarge
- Discovering Evolutionary Ecology: bringing together ecology and evolution by Peter Mayhew
- Ecological Census Techniques: A Handbook by William Sutherland
- Ecology: from individuals to ecosystems by Michael Begon
- Elements of Marine Ecology by R. V. Tait
- Essential Animal Behavior by Graham Scott
- Evolution on Planet Earth edited by Rothschild and Lister
- Evolutionary Conservation Biology by Regis Ferriere
- From Genes to Genomes by Jeremy Dale
- Global Warming: The Complete Briefing by John Houghton
- Handbook of Groundwater Remediation Using Permeable Reactive Barriers editied by Naftz et al.
- Host-plant Selection by Phytophagous Insects by E. A. Bernays
- Insect-Plant Biology by Louis Schoonhoven
- Introduction to Environmental Soil Physics by Daniel Hilel
- Introduction to Marine Micropaleontology edited by Haq and Boersma
- Lake Baikal: A Mirror in Time and Space for Understanding Global Change Processes edited by Koji Minoura
- Matthews’ Plant Virology by Roger Hull
- Methods in Enzymology: Vol. 1 (1995) – Vol. 310 (1999)
- Microbial Physiology by Albert Moat
- Nitric Oxide in Plant Growth, Development and Stress Physiology edited by Lamattina and Polacco
- Pheromones and Animal Behaviour: Communication by Smell and Taste by Tristram Wyatt
- Phylogeography of Southern European Refugia: evolutionary perspectives on the origins and conservation of European biodiversity edited by Weiss and Ferrand
- Plantation Silviculture in Europe by Peter Savill
- Principles of Molecular Virology by Alan Cann
- Systems Biology in Practice: Concepts, Implementation and Application by Edda Klipp
- The Analysis of Time Series: An Introduction by Chris Chatfield
- The Conservation Handbook: research, management and policy by William Sutherland
- The Fungi by Michael Carlile
- The Fungal Community: Its Organization and role in the Ecosystem edited by John Dighton
- The R Book by Michael Crawley
- The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
- Thinking about Biology by Stephen Webster
All the titles listed above are individually catalogued on the Library catalogue and are also listed alphabetically by title within the Databases and e-books A-Z List on the Library website.
For off-campus access please see information regarding the Virtual Private Network (VPN) and passwords on the Library website.
For further information about how to find print versions of books, please see the Finding Books section of this blog.